One of our donors has made an enormous impact on behalf of their local food bank service!
The vision of your local food bank is to see a Canada where no one goes hungry. They work to relieve and prevent hunger every day, from coast to coast, and they will capably stretch every donation dollar that they receive!
Calgary food bank donor gifts BMW
The local food bank is a cause that one of our Alberta donors could get behind. Donating their well-loved BMW via our auction option, this generous giver raised over $9,000.00 for the charity!
How does our auction process work? In many parts of Canada we have local auction houses working on our behalf. If a vehicle is 10 years of age or newer, and in running condition, we may be able to attempt re-sale at auction. This process allows us to see the car sold to the highest bidder. This ensures that we get the most donation dollars possible on behalf of your chosen charity. Just as we did for this open-hearted donor!
You can help in your neighborhood
Visit your local food bank website for informative and challenging facts about hunger in our country. Or, visit their social media pages for up-to-the-minute news, articles, and inspiration on how each of us can make a difference.
If donating your car is a future consideration, and you want to know how to help your neighbors, now:
Five common Food Bank requests:
- dry pasta and sauce
- canned meats and fish
- meat alternatives like peanut butter
- canned vegetables without added sodium, and
- hot and cold cereal
Five other ideas for foods that might be overlooked:
- Whole grains such as farro, spelt, barley and brown or wild rice are high in fibre and contain iron and magnesium. They can be added to soup, chili and salad
- Baby formula and cereal and pureed fruit and veggies are needed by children for optimal development
- Inexpensive and versatile lentils are a source of protein and high in fibre. Theyre easy to cook and dont require soaking first
- Milk, and alternatives like powdered milk or fortified shelf-stable almond, soy and rice milk, are a source of calcium and vitamins D and A
- Canned fruit packed in water, with no added sugar, is a source of vitamin C
When possible choose unbreakable containers; glass jars dont always survive transport.
Does this sound do-able? If you’re able to go one step beyond this and do have a car or truck to donate, we can help: